Thursday, July 14, 2005

Of films and such

Isn't Netflix wonderful? Im not necessarily a fan of all things cyber. For example, I don't like browsing for books online. There is nothing more exciting than going into a bookstore ( ok there are things more exciting, but not many), especially a second hand bookstore and searching to find a perfect read.
Videostores are entirely different.
The neon lights, the little colored signs on the boxes letting you know that "Hey, you know that movie you've been waiting a month to watch? Well its STILL not available!" All that to say I'm a big fan of Netflix.
I am a cinephile. So those who know me, know that I frequently open my big mouth about my opinions of various films. I hope nobody minds me occasionally sharing those opinions on my blog. And ofcourse if anyone disagrees with my "reviews' , I always love a good debate.
A few years ago I grew bored of the typical Hollywood repetitious industry and started a slow and gradual love affair with indie/foreign films ,which has now blossomed into a full blown passionate relationship( God, that was cheesy!)
I cant say I have given up blockbusters entirely because I like keeping myself informed about such things. I cant very well pretend I don't want to watch.... lets say...Brad and Angie sharing a screen.
One word review. Daaaaaaamn!

Oh and if anyone has any abstract recommendations let me know.
By abstract I don't mean such titles as "Dude, where's my dildo?", "Geranalmo" and "Tookie Raider". (Whoever recommended those ones, all I can say is "Where's your dignity? Shame, shame, shame on you.......they were absolute crap!!" :-)

5 Comments:

Blogger athenianstyle said...

Ah you made my day! I love it when women have excellent taste in films, in some wierd feministic way it makes me proud.
That said, I still love my friends that claim their fave film(if it can be called a film) is Maid in Manhattan(you know who u are).
The only one I havnt seen is "Friends and Family". I'll be adding it to my "Queue".

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to start with Indie films, but where do you start...and why does Blockbuster rarely ever have them. Sigh. Suppose it's time to give in to Netflix.

Give me a few recommendations and I just might get started.

9:05 AM  
Blogger athenianstyle said...

Off the top of my head here are some good ones.
Wonderfully abstract:Donnie Darko and Adaptation.
For Self discovery:Laurel Canyon and Lovely and Amazing.
Romance with a twist:Kissing Jessica Stein and Secretary.
Heartbreaking stories, beautifully told: In America and My life without me.
Feel good film:Garden State.
Phew thats enough for now, are you also interested in foreign films?

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Donnie Darko but didn't get it. I think it's time to see it again.

I loved Adaptation.

Garden State was good too.

I'll have to get the other ones.

I actually like foreign films. Any suggestions are good. Since they don't get as much advertisment I just never know where to start.

9:39 PM  
Blogger athenianstyle said...

"Life is beautiful" is in short a masterpiece. Other favorites of mine are, "City of God", "Run Lola Run", and basically all Pedro Almodovar films such as "Talk to her" or the more recent "Bad Education".
One film that I really love is "Sex and Lucia". It is quite daring and offbeat, but it is highly creative. The cinematography is beautiful and the story has depth.Definetly one of my highest recommendations.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home