Saturday, July 02, 2005

Train of thots

Today I had my TV on for a big part of the day catching glimpses of the Live8 concerts while going about everything else I had to do.
A train of thots ran through my mind in rapid succession.
I thought of how annoying it is when celebrities "preach" to everyone about giving to charity when they are living in utter extravagance.
I thought about if the people attending the concerts or the people watching from home, like me, would even remember what the whole deal was about the next day. Maybe we would buy a band to wrap around our wrist and feel like we did our part and ultimately feel good about ourselves.
I thought of how I felt years ago when I left behind a big part of my life. Disilusioned. Because I had grown up thinking I was leading a life that helped people, that I was making the world a better place, but then realising that I had done very little if anything at all to help those in need. I imagined what I might have accomplised if I had worked for any humanitarian organization for those 20 years instead...what I might have been able to offer then.
I thought about how wonderful it would be if these politicians would actually make these decisions to drop the debts, to make trade fair, to send better aid. Could it be so simple?
I thought about everything Ive seen, heard and read about Africa and other third world countries, all the sickness, all the wars, all the injustices and how alot of times I shut what they're going through out, I shut it out because it makes me feel selfish for worrying about the things I do.
Ultimately, I dont know what I or others could do, I dont know if these concerts or marches can change anything, if the celebrities are phony, if politicians that act interested are just pretending, if its better to be a pessimist or an optimist.
But I feel I have to talk and educate myself about it, debate and rant about it.
Because some things are so insanely unfair we should all be furious about them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said!

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home